Tuesday, February 21, 2006

TAXES!!

I'm sure that most of you have filed your taxes and gotten your returns weeks ago, at least. I am not one of those people, at least not this year. In fact, we didn't even have all the necessary W-2s and such until last week! One of the hazards of moving, I suppose. Anyway, I finally have them done...I think, and I am tired of taxes beyond belief. Let me share!

For starters, a bit of advice. If you can avoid, don't make it so you have to file in 3 different states in one year...it's a pain in the hind parts! We lived in Idaho for most of the year, I worked there, but my husband worked in Utah (we lived right on the ID/UT border). Then, at the end of the year we moved to Illinois so we worked there for two months of the last year. That adds up to three different states and it gets crazy trying to learn all the differing rules for the different states. For example, in IL, you can't e-file (which I love to do) your first year, you HAVE to file by mail. Then you have all the different part-resident/non-resident stipulations that are different in every state, and then...

Well, suffice it to say, I am tired of taxes and hope to never have to do this multiple state thing again!!! If any of you are under the same circumstances, don't ask me for advice...I have no idea what I just did! Hopefully the IRS won't think it worth it to audit me!

Good luck to all! Here's to getting lots of money back!

3 comments:

April said...

Blech, I hate taxes. That is why I have H & R do them. But good for you muddling through Laural!

Hilary said...

Oh man, multiple states suck...

Proud Mum said...

We did part-year last year between VA and CA. Wow. When I did my taxes this year I couldn't believe that it only took weeks instead of months to complete! I highly recommend getting help; I muddled through with some bargain-basement online freebie company and really wish I had used H&R Block or Turbo Tax or something more user-friendly.

Here's to a big refund! (our was disappointing, but at least a refund instead of a payment due.)

Oh, by the way, this is Heather from the fbi; I found you from Dana's blog. Welcome to blogland, it's great fun!