Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Foreign Language

I just wanted all of you to know that I have recently acquired a new language. I'm not sure what it is or even what it sounds like to others. All I know is that my children don't understand it!

Let me explain. As of late, my children, especially my five year old, have assumed that I am speaking a foreign language when I speak to them. No matter what I think that I am saying: "please can you do __," "did you have fun at __," "would you like this 3 lb chocolate bar I just bought?" they don't seem to understand. I get this idea that they don't understand because I am simply ignored for at least the first 2 or 3 times that I say it. It's crazy, I know, but I must be speaking a new foreign language!

Do any of you know this language? Maybe we can get together and chat!! :D

6 comments:

Sariah said...

Yes, Laural, we must speak the same foreign language. I can say something to Aiden or ask him something and all he replies with is, "WHAT?????" I end up repeating myself about 5 times before i finally say, "You heard me!" and refuse to say it again. Sooooooo annoying. I KNOW he's doing it on purpose. I just can't prove it.

Hilary said...

Speaking in tongues.... eh?
WHERE IS THE TRANSLATOR.
Good luck... I am of no help in this situation.

ABQ Mom said...

The favorite response around here is "huh?" Ooh! It drives me crazy! But I don't repeat myself, when "W" says "huh?" I just say "You know what I just said. Tell me what I just said." and I make him repeat it.

My brother grew up saying "Huh?" to EVERYONE for EVERY question REGARDLESS of what it was. It drove us all nuts. He still does it as an adult. I refuse to let my son fall into that same pattern.

I hear ya on the foreign language though. I wish I could offer you a solution. Ask them what you said. See if that works.

Allrie said...

I love what ABQ Mom had to suggest. I approached things a little oddly. I DID use a foreign language when I was REALLY serious about te kids listening to me. I woud start off in Italian, then swithch to English once I was being listed to. Because Sariah had problems in kindergarden with her teacher not getting her attention easily, I decided not to do that, but my youngest kids claim I still do it!

In any case, it worked.

Proud Mum said...

Oohh, yay, that's what I have to look forward to!

But now that I've thought of it, I've been speaking in tongues for years, "honey will you please pick up ..."

April_Mommy said...

I had this problem with my kids about a year ago... I just did what ABQ mommy did by either making them repeat back what I said or just ignoring the what and going on like it didn't matter. Eventually they gave up on it, after all they are only trying to get attention...