Thursday, April 13, 2006

Foul Language

With the nice weather that we have been having, we have been trying to go for a bike ride as a family when Jody gets home from work. It has been really enjoyable. We like to try and go to a playground of some sort so the kids can get a play break in between riding.

Anyway, the other day we went to this place called Baker's Lake. It has a long trail around this little lake and then there is a playground on one end of the trail. Of course, we stopped to play and there were other kids there to play with. After maybe ten minutes passed, we realized that one the other children, a boy maybe 6 years old, was using really foul language. Now, I'm talking about the kind of foul language that makes a movie rated R. He was using this "phrase" to call every other child names. He was also telling them to do certain things to one of his private body parts. (OK, that was really uncomfortable to try and explain, let alone listen to.)

Of course, Jody and I were appalled and tried to ask the kid to stop but he wouldn't stop saying it long enough to even hear us. I don't know if the other parents couldn't hear him or they just didn't care. I do know that his parents (who looked to be maybe 16) didn't seem to care a lick! We quickly packed the kids up and left!

Looking back on it, it makes me totally sick to think that anyone knows how to talk like that, let alone a 6 year old kid! What is going on inside his house that he learns to talk like that?! I guess what it really boils down to is: I am so grateful that I was raised to know how to talk appropriately and have respect for other people. Also, I'm so glad that I can FEEL how horrible that kind of language is. What a little thing Satan has come up with to chase the Spirit away from people in an instance. It's scary!!

So, it may be a while before we go back to that park!! I hope that none of the rest of you are ever subjected to such rudeness and crudeness from one so little! Best of luck to you all!

6 comments:

Proud Mum said...

I think we've already talked about this so you know how I feel. I'm right with you, that is such unacceptable behaviour -ugh! and the longer my little guy can go before subjected to that, the better. I'm sorry you and your family had to endure that, and I'm sorry that he has been raised in such a way that he subjects himself to such base behaviours.

Sariah said...

Oh man! That just sucks! We actually told a young kid at the park one time we didn't like his language and didn't want our child to hear it. The kid left. Didn't hurt our feelings at ALL. His parents weren't there and I think he was just showing off for his friends, but it was still bad.

I have to wonder what kinds of things parents think they are teaching their kids. I mean, I have been known to let loose with a few choice words in my life, but I work extremely hard to not say anything with my kids around. Well, I work hard not to swear at all, but especially with the kids. There seem to be a lot of parents out there who honestly don't care what their kids do or say. And then they wonder why they have such horrible teenagers!

Hilary said...

I have heard that many of the schools in our district (and I'm talking Elementary schools) have a HUGE language problem on the playground.
It makes me sick.
If Conner EVER said anything like that. Man, sad that many parents don't care. Plus, it makes their kids seem SO uneducated...

April said...

oh laural.. I'm sorry your kids had to listen to that kind of stuff, I hope it doesn't again happen anytime soon.

April_Mommy said...

Man, I wonder what I would have done in that situation. I probably would have just left without saying anything to the boy. I will attempt to ask children in the future to stop saying bad words like you have...

In the mean time though, I find it amusing that my daughter M corrects people when they say
S-t-u-p-i-d
because she knows it isn't a good word... :-)

ABQ Mom said...

I'm so sorry you had to have that experience. I worry for the day my children are exposed to children of such uneducated parents.

I hate seeing children not treat other children nicely. I will usually say something but hate the fact that the parents don't notice what they're children are doing. I'd rather yell at the parents then the child.

I'm so afraid of being yelled at by a parent because I scolded their child.